Ok, I finally got this figured out. Time was an element in google finding the site, but even after they found the site, they could only find certain elements of the home page. I have read it can be a font problem, that Google can't recognize certain non-standard fonts, so I changed some links to a universal font (no difference). I also read that pictures don't work as links, so I tried making the links in the text (no difference). The thing that seemed to work was submitting a site map to Google and waiting. Of course, I couldn't use the Google site map generator, since they couldn't find my pages! (Their map had one page.) This site worked:
http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ . I uploaded the sitemap to the root server. It took a while for Google to find everything, and they did it in stages, discovering one tier, then another a few days later, then another a few days after that. And I have to update the sitemap every time I update the site. Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who is trying to get Google to search their iweb site.