Re: Google maps UI painfully slow after latest revision
Jul 30, 2010 1:57 PM
Posted in group:
Hey, I've been running into problems with google maps and street view.
'To make progress with this, we'll need some more information from you. Ideally, answers to these questions from everyone:'
1) When did you first notice this problem?
Well it has always been slightly slow here but it got problematic since around march 2010.
2) Can you quantify "incredibly slow", eg, "It used to take around 4 seconds to load Maps and now it takes around 20" or "Maps loads fast but search results take at least 15 seconds to come back" etc.
what I call slow is the satalite picture taking 30+ seconds to load and sometimes not even loading correctly. Same loading problem in street view and sometimes the picture view just stays pitch black, not loading anything at all.
3) Which browsers, operating systems, and (if possible) security patchlevels do you have?
I'm running Opera 9.63, build 10476. Not the most recent version but i haven't find one better to date.
4) What other software is installed on your computer, eg, do you have any toolbars, chat clients, etc installed?
no tool bars exept for wins default, windows live messenger and Skype.
5) If you know how to use the CPU monitoring facility of your operating system, is the CPU maxed out during page load, or does it seem to be waiting on the network?
CPU usage climbs to 100% when loading any page. No new software was installed since the problems started though.
6) Which area of the world are you connecting from? Metro-area granularity is ideal but I'll take country-level too :-)