Google Product Forums
Re: I've Lost My Emails
May 7, 2012 10:35 AM
Posted in group:
Report an issue : Reading and Receiving Messages : Internet Explorer :
The first concern when messages are missing is that the account was compromised and contents deleted. The first step is to change your password and verify all your other security and account settings (see
(When you reclaim Your Account)). If the account was compromised, a request for recovery of the deleted messages can be made here:
Other possibilities include:
* Forwarding, filters, or access using POP/IMAP which could be deleting messages.
* Messages can also be deleted from other web-sites/tools/utilities through Authorizing applications & sites.
* Confusion on the difference between labels and folders when doing account cleanup.
* Using a view other than "classic" in Settings->Inbox can sometimes result in messages being hidden.
* In a Google Apps account it could a misconfigured retention policy:
Have you looked in the All Mail, Trash, and Spam labels for the missing information? Have you used the Search Mail function to try and find them?
Unfortunately, messages permanently deleted from Trash or Spam can not be recovered. Sorry.
Unexpected message loss is why some people do their own backups of their Gmail accounts. That way they can recover their information if something happens.
For more information see:
Try to find missing messages:
Recovering deleted messages:
Recovering messages or contacts: