|Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/1/12 1:28 AM|
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/1/12 5:44 AM|
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/1/12 7:25 AM|
Thank you for undertaking to look at this, Pierre. Please also check https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/crawl-errors?hl=en&siteUrl=http://www.shopsafe.com.au/#t1=1 for notification of server connection issues.
We have received the message below but cannot find a fault with the server and other sites with the same config on the same server have no issues. After the first message on the 12th we moved the site to another server but the connectivity issues followed it, despite all the other sites on the same server having no issue.
The only point of difference between the problem site is the Google Hosting Service.
|Re: Odd message in WMT||Red Carrot Design||8/1/12 3:05 PM|
Hello: I have a similar issue with my https domain. Received two messages in WMT on 7/15/12 and 7/31/12.
It states "Over the last 24 hours, Googlebot encountered 3 errors while attempting to connect to your site. Your site's overall connection failure rate is 75.0%.".
I have checked with our web host company and no server issues. Also successfully used Fetch as Google but when I try to view Index Status in WMT another message is displayed "Data for https://.../ is not available. Please try a site with http:// protocol: http://.../.
What should I do? Thanks.
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/1/12 5:07 PM|
A googler has said he will look at this thread, Red Carrot Design, that's the best we can hope for.
Did your site record a traffic loss at the same time as these reports? Are you able to publish your URL?
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/2/12 8:22 PM|
I think this might be a bug in Webmaster Tools.
Consider that Webmaster Tools thinks that a Japanese site totally unrelated to us has an SSL certificate which supposedly applies to our site, www.shopsafe.com.au
On both the original server and the server I have moved it to, there are identically configured sites in Webmaster Tools, for example www.shopsafe.com, that are not showing recorded "server connection errors". Logically, if one site has them, they all should have them, they are all virtually the same.
The only point of difference between two of these sites is that www.shopsafe.com draws it's images from img.shopsafe.com (hosted on our servers) while www.shopsafe.com.au draws it's images from img.shopsafe.com.au (hosted on Google Hosting Service). Coincidentally, the non-related Japanese site is also hosted on Google Hosting Service and that is most likely why the Webmaster Tools diagnostic mistakenly thinks the unrelated Japanese site's certificate belongs to us.
I cannot see "why" and perhaps it's illogical but I think this might be "how" our site has had it's traffic impeded (because of non-existent connection errors - errors that may have been recorded from another Google site but mistakenly applied to our site's metrics). (The only other option I'm about to try is move it to a third server, this time under a different firewall in case that is the problem but it would be great not to have to do this).
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/4/12 8:46 PM|
I have discovered a network issue that might account for some of the connectivity issues mentioned above but nothing to explain the certificate message.
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/8/12 2:06 AM|
I stumbled across this unread in my inbox today. It's dated June 12, 2012.
|Re: Odd message in WMT||ShopSafe||8/8/12 5:18 PM|